Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fresh Much?



This may be actually kinda old. Okay it is. It's from about 2 days after The Cool came out and it's an interview with Rhapsody Music Blog. It's pretty good though.

Preview.

You said earlier that you created this tale in order to step away from yourself and tell a story. Do you think that hip-hop listeners obsessed with authenticity are willing to accept this artifice?
I don’t know … some are. Some people may not look at their own work as art, but I do. I look at MF Doom almost as if he’s Picasso. I look at the grotesqueness of what he does. It’s so out of the ordinary, that it becomes grotesque the way that some of Picasso’s paintings can be considered grotesque. To really stretch it, you look at Warhol or Basquiat, and they peed on their paintings to find the right color, oxidation or what have you. I look at that.

But that’s me on a deeper level. That’s Wasalu Jaco more than Lupe Fiasco, that’s the crazy little nerd who knows all the words to every "Voltron" cartoon and wants to know the meaning behind Mumrah. This is my entertainment. This is what piques my interest. Some people might just be entertainment. But a lot of people look at it just as deeply, or even deeper.


Want to read the rest? Here you go.

No comments: