Monday, February 18, 2008

Instant Classic?

Now this is more like it. It's a reader review. They're a little late on the whole Kick, Push thing..but still..

Preview.

"I do not like mainstream popular Hip-Hop. Telling people how to do a dance over lame beat does not make you a rapper. It makes you a dance instructor. I don't want to Supaman or walk it out. I want to listen to real music with real issues. I had essentially given up on hip-hop. Long gone, it seemed, were the days of Illmatic, Midnight Maruaders, It's Dark and Hell is Hot, replaced by no talent hacks claiming to be artists. Then a few months ago I stumbled acrossed a song the geniusly weaved a coming-of-age story with the backdrop of skateboarding. This song was "Kick, Push," the artist was Lupe Fiasco. Shortly after hearing the song I went out and bought Fiasco's debut album, "Food and Liquor." Hip-Hop was not dead. The praises of "Food and Liquor" are well known. It was a brilliant debut effort from Chicago's Lupe Fiasco. I didn't think he could top it. I was wrong."


-- The rest of this can be found here at IGN.

1 comment:

@SeanTheRobot said...

I especially agree with this statement: The more people buy albums like these the more it tells record executives that people want their hip-hop with some substance.

overall it's a nice review

good find :-)